About Me

Jared and I have been married two years now. In November we will have been together 9 years. Crazy to think. We definitely grew up together and I think that's what makes us work so well. We had a daughter in June and we're not sure why we didn't do so sooner. We love her with our life. She is the best thing that's ever happened to us. I love having my own family. We live in Fayetteville and LOVE IT. We are always back and forth on whether or not we'll move back to Alma. I see us back down there one day but I see our life always being in NWA. If only we could pack our families up and move them up here!

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Something to blog about...

I've had something on my heart for a day now. I almost posted about it on Facebook but decided against it.

Yesterday morning Jared, Ruby, and I went to Walmart first thing in the morning. As we were just browsing I saw a female sheriff trying some shoes on a little boy. I said to Jared, "what is that mom doing shopping with her son with her pistol on?". He thought it was odd too. A few minutes later I see another male sheriff pass us with another child in his cart. They were just chatting away. He was asking him his sizes, then it clicked. I ran over and found Jared and told him "it's 'shop with a cop'"! Every year my dad and stepmom do it. My dad however, is a firefighter. But I knew both do this every Christmas.

As I thought about it and those kids, tears filled my eyes. I'm pretty sure Jared almost cried too. He's become quite the softie since having Ruby. He asked me how they get the money to pay for this and I told him I have no idea. I am sure donations though. We actually found a donation table at the front of the store. Ruby and I dug every single dollar bill I had out of my wallet to put in the bucket. Ruby was so sweet doing so.

The more I think about it the more I become so unbelievably thankful for my blessings. I can not imagine the struggles and heartache the parents of those children must face on a daily basis but then with Christmas time, it must make it even worse. I can't imagine how heartbreaking it must be for the cops and firefighters to witness it every year. I don't think I could do it without crying the entire time.

I have made it a point to make my donations every year to breast cancer awareness and St. Jude's, two I hold close to my heart. Not for any personal reasons. But I think I'll be looking more closely into more local charities as well.

So when you are out shopping for your kiddos, other family members or friends try to dig a little deeper into those pockets. There are so many unfortunate people closer than we realize. Christmas should be a very happy and joyful time for all but it never leaves my mind and heart that it can also be a very depressing time of the year for so so many as well.

I hope you all have a very joyous December. Remember the reason for the season.

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment